Summer is finally here and we are thrilled to announce a CGCC Summer Picnic. Come meet other families with gifted children, and enjoy some outdoor fun! We will have a family scavenger hunt for you to complete. You will also be able to meet board members of the Chicago Gifted Community Center, and share your wishes for our organization.
Bemis Woods is right off I-294 on Ogden Road. It is part of the Cook County Forest Preserve District. We are in Picnic Grove #1, which is the first picnic area on the right just off Wolf Road, south of 31st Street and north of Ogden. Bemis has a lovely bike path that goes all the way to Brookfield Zoo and downtown Riverside to the east and extends into Fullersburg Woods and north along the Salt Creek to the west. There is also a boat launch for kayaks and canoes at Bemis, though it is quite a distance from our picnic grove. For added family fun, you could make a reservation at the Go Ape Treetop Adventure, a ropes course on the southwest side of the preserve for the morning!
Steps to take:
- Register for this picnic now. If your plans change, you can unregister, or you can email us and we'll take care of it. For planning purposes we need to know that you are considering coming!
- Pack a lunch for your family.
- Prepare a dessert item to share. (Given the incidence of allergies in our community, please prepare a note card indicating whether your item contains gluten, nuts or peanuts.)
- Find and bring all your picnic enjoyment paraphernalia - frisbees, kites, baseball mitts, bubble makers, bug spray, etc.
- Also bring other things that your kids love to do to share with others, such as tabletop games (that can withstand a breeze) or legos.
We look forward to seeing you there.
Please contact Newenka with any questions or concerns.